Do you need an assistance to write descriptive essay examples for university? Have you searched every way possible to do it but still have the same hurdles in your way? You don’t have to worry at all. We got this. You got to read this out for clearing your ambiguity right away. So, let’s move on.
This essay is the need of time and every person as a part of university has to go through the process of writing a descriptive essay. However, for writing such essay, you need some pre-requisites to study on so to write qualitative essay. here are the guidelines:
What is a Descriptive Essay?
- It is an essay type which describes a place, an event, a person, and object a process etc.
- It is an essay in which we insert the senses i.e.: taste, smell, touch, hearing and sight.
- Being alluring to the senses makes this essay a good piece of writing.
- Paint a picture in the minds of reader to enchant their five senses.
- The essay could be about anything, ranging from life experience to any material object etc. where one inserts an association of the event with the senses of the audience to be appealing
Types of Descriptive Essay
These are majorly of 2 types:
- Personal type
- Formal type
Personal Descriptive Essay
- In this type of essay, the writer describes his/her own feelings, emotions and experiences.
- The only thing that the writer needs to do in this type is build a connection of the readers with the experience and feelings of the writer
- Use a language that expresses the emotions and provoke a response from the audience as if they are experiencing it. Such as “cold blooded”, “raged”, “monster”, “innocent”, “fear”, etc.
- It is advisable to opt for a topic in personal essay type, that best describes your feelings and experiences
Personal Descriptive essay topics
- My first travelling journey
- How do I survive a shark attack?
- The best surprise of my birthday
Formal Descriptive essay
- A formal essay type is the one which do not have the description of personal experiences or any other event related to oneself.
- Rather it is a sort of argumentative essay in which we describe or give details about an event, object or element which may not be related to us.
- Writing this sort of essay doesn’t mean using a language that will make it too boring.
- Use a language that will still make your descriptive essay a top-notch.
Formal Descriptive Essay topics
- The crash of an airplane due to pilot error
- Pollution and environmental control measures
How to write Descriptive Essay for University?
Writing such essay of a university needs some guidelines. However, before discussing that guidelines, we will first be moving on with writing format of such essay:
Introduction of Descriptive Essay
An introductory paragraph serves to introduce the topic under discussion. A good introduction is the one which is brief, fascinating, attention grabbing and most importantly contain a hook statement. It should be as follows:
- Hook statement: Starting the introduction from a hook make your readers alert. Such hook is important part of an introduction as it is ideal way to grab the attention.
- Background knowledge: It is important to give a flashback to the readers of the topic so to give them an idea at least, that what we are going to talk about in the entire essay.
- Thesis statement: A thesis statement is the crux of the entire essay. No essay is good without a thesis statement at the end of its introductory paragraph. It should hardly be 1 sentence long.
Body of Descriptive Essay
The standard is that a body of an essay is three paragraphs longer usually. However, it can vary based upon the requirements. It can be even longer or sometimes just a paragraph long. Apart from the paragraphs, following elements should be carefully applied:
- Topic sentence: Start the body paragraph with a topic sentence. This sentence gives the whole idea of the paragraph following; however, it is only few words long.
- Sensory information: Give sensory information related to the topic. Such as when talking about cold winters, we can add sensory information like shivering with cold, red nose because of cold wind etc.
- Detailed description: Add the details of your topic in this section of the essay. following the above steps, describe in detail the events and move swiftly using transition words, phrases and sentences. Introduce the next body paragraph in the one you will be writing using transition sentences.
Conclusion of the essay
Summarize the discussion in the body of the essay here in the conclusion part. Do not introduce a new idea or leave the audience with ambiguity because that’s the sign of a weak essay. similarly, it is also advised to proof read the entire essay because humans are full of errors. Consider the following while writing conclusion:
- Moral: State the learning that one had from the overall experience, event, etc. reflect the discussion into this part as well.
- Overall learning: Add the importance of the essay to the overall learning that one had from the experience. Reflect your discussion here as well but generically.
- Concluding statement: Conclude the essay with a sentence or two at the end of the paragraph. It can be a clincher statement, meaning thereby we can escape from the thoughts of the audience concluding through a quotation, question or any other such sentence.
Following are some guidelines that will make the essay more attractive without any special efforts. These are:
Brainstorming and drafting
- It is always advisable to have a brainstorming session before moving toward the final piece of writing.
- Such brainstorming includes imagining some ideas related to the topic and then jotting them down on a piece of paper or keeping a record of it.
- Having done with brainstorming and recording, now is the time to rough draft the essay.
- Drafting mean writing an essay which is a copy of the final draft.
- Have them both!
Use of sensory information
- Add senses to the essay whiling describing things.
- Embellishment is what will make the essay a perfect piece of writing
- If one wants to reach that level of allurement, it must be ensured to add senses into the university descriptive essay example.
Stay to the point
- It is advisable to avoid unnecessary details and stick to the point so that ambiguity in ideas should be avoided.
- Unnecessary details also contribute to boredom; hence, one should stick to the point in addition to ensuring creativity in the essay.
- Make sure the event described is an original one because that will make it sensory because if the writer hasn’t gone through the original event, he/she will never be able to insert that element of fascination into the essay
- Originality is what makes the essay perfect. Go for it!
Have an everlasting impression!
- The goal of the essay is to built a connection with the audience.
- If the essay leaves the audience craving for more, you have succeeded in your goals.
- Hence, it is advised to add such emotional connections into the essay to have that crave transferred to the audience
- Focus is a single most important element if not kept in the entire journey, one will never succeed.
- Have a good focus while writing. Distractions lead to unclear picture of things.
Descriptive Essay Example for University
Perfect essay writers have put the top-notch efforts to help you understand how to write descriptive essay example for university. we hope that we have clear your stance regarding this matter. However, still have confusion? Perfect essay writing is always here to help.